In all honesty…..I did NOT need another chair for my office. BUT…. evidently…. my readers and online family needed a “how to paint on leather” demonstrations…..and because of that…..this gorgeous painted leather chair was created….and I’m keeping it!
I love it when you actually let me know what you’d like to read and learn more about….it helps me to deliver better content! So to all of you that asked about painting leather…..I thank you…..and this is for you!
I purchased this leather chair on FB Marketplace for $70. I am hopeful that many of you already own a chair similar to this….or that you can pick one up for much less…..and try this project for yourself!
I gave it a shower (really good wipe down) with White Lightning.
I then made my decision to prime or not to prime.
Is the surface slick?
….just the back of the chair was slick so I chose to prime it in Slick Stick. ….the front of the chair was worn in a soft and supple and did not require it.
Will the leather bleed through my paint with dyes from the leather?
…..possibly…..but I am painting with a dark color so I do not need to consider this.
….and I am sealing with spray wax or butter (because I don’t want to use a sealer that cures to a hard finish on my chair)….. which do not pull tannins through the paint.
This prime or not to prime … and with which product… are the questions I get asked ALL. THE. TIME. So I dedicated an entire blog to helping to answer those questions…check it out HERE.
I allowed this to dry before taping off my stripes.
I followed my “stripes protocol”….burnish with base coat…let dry….paint stripes with minimal paint….remove tape while the paint is wet……voila!
I painted the front of the chair on live video and you can watch this here…
By the way…..have you subscribed to my YouTube channel? Click the button below to signup and you will be notified any time I add a new project or playlist!
How to paint on leather with chalk paint
My progress steps are listed for you here…..and all products used are listed in the shop section at the bottom of this blog
1. Painted the entire front in Peony.
2. Painted the area near the “crack…aka where the seat meets the back” in a blend of Caviar and Muscadine Wine….which made this beautiful Black Cherry color. I will use this color on future projects without a doubt!
3. Painted the middle section of both the back and the seat in Plum Crazy.
4. Using a spray bottle and my brush I blended the line between the custom Black Cherry and the Plum Crazy to soften the transition of color…..making sure to neatly wrap the color all the way to the nail head area.
5. I then added a fresh line of Peony to the most forward area of the seat cushion and the uppermost area of the back cushion….and again….using water and my brush I blended the transition line of the Peony to Plum Crazy….again….making sure to neatly wrap the color all the way around to the nailhead area.
7. I allowed all paint to dry overnight before applying Easy Peasy Spray Wax to seal the paint. I did not need to sand prior to this. I just BRUSHED on the spray wax and let it dry.
8. I then used my go-to Liquid Leaf Gold to paint all the wood areas of the chair for that extra glam!
9. And finally…..I used my fingertip to dip into the Liquid Leaf gold and apply it to each nailhead.
The chair is NOT crunchy or even hard in the very least!!! It is soft and smooth and supple….and has a finish that is almost velvety to touch!
In my honest opinion……leather chairs paint up SO easily…..and even better than fabric chairs! Fabric chairs require quite a few extra steps to make sure your chair FEELS good enough to sit it. I offer fabric chair painting as a class and you can purchase that right here.
But the leather??? It doesn’t need a class….. it’s EASY EASY EASY with great results!!
So there you have it!
My latest painted leather project just for you!
And I owe you a big THANK YOU…..for the gift of my new desk chair!
I’ll keep you posted on how she holds up over time! I’m a bit of a workaholic so she’s going to get a lot of use while I write these blogs and answer your comments!!
Shop: Painted Leather Chair
The products listed here are what I used for this painted leather chair! Dixie Belle Paint company offers amazing products that will make all of your projects successful no matter what your skill level! Just click on any of the products shown below! You can also find my favorite products and tools in my Amazon influencer list here.
Here’s how it works…these products are attached to my name. When you purchase by clicking from my blog…..then Dixie Belle offers a kickback to me for referring you! It doesn’t cost you any more to use my links….and the support helps me to bring you new projects! So I thank you in advance!!!
See you next week!
Please share my painted leather chair pins and follow me on Pinterest!