I did a “thing” today…..a very spontaneous thing….a faux wood grain thing….and I LOVE it!!!!
My black dining room table has been in need of “freshening up” for quite some time. It tends to be a catch all for anyone that enters our home. It sits immediately to the right of the front entry and everyone seems to throw their belongings there as soon as they come into the house…which drives me nuts by the way!!!
So it has suffered tiny nicks and scratches over time.
I initially planned to paint the entire table top in a soft gray. I then decided to go with an off-white and try to vein it with multiple grays. Then suddenly….I remembered my wood graining tool by Dixie Belle….and without any further thought…..I just went for it!
I painted the entire table top in an hour!!!
It was really so very easy and this same technique can be used on any flat surface….dresser tops, coffee tables, and even doors!
I’ve listed below my exact process so you too can get this fun look.
How to create this Faux Wood Grain look
- Clean the table really well with White Lightning and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Paint one solid layer with Fluff.
- Then paint long stretches with two colors (Sawmill Gravy and Hurricane Gray). I used a different brush for each color. I did this very haphazardly…no real pattern….just free formed each row.
- Then use the wood graining tool. Begin on one end of the paint stretch…..apply light pressure….and pull down along the row of two paint colors….rocking the tool back and forth along the way. It is absolutely mind blowing to watch the wood pattern take shape right before your eyes!!!
- Just repeat the process row by row….until your surface is complete!
- Let this dry for several hours before apply your top coat.
- Apply Gator Hide for durability….using the life-changing application pad!!! No streaks! No issues! Easy application!!! I waited about 30 minutes between coats and applied three coats total!
See the process in action here….
I had the table fully set and decorated the very next day!
The tone and hue of the three colors together is just gorgeous!
Eventually I will have my chairs painted and reupholstered…..so try to look past them for now! I already own the traditional leopard print fabric and teal crushed velvet to do them…..its just not been a priority! Soon! Very Soon!
One project at a time…right????
I hope you’ll give this one a try!
And while we are in my dining room, let me tell you about that eye-catching harlequin wall and my fun and festive hand-made (by me) Whimsy Tree.
More Projects About Family…
The products listed here are what I used for this project! Dixie Belle Paint company offers amazing products that will make all of your projects successful no matter what your skill level! Just click on any of the products shown below! You can also find my favorite products and tools in my Amazon influencer list HERE.
Here’s how it works…these products are attached to my name. When you purchase by clicking from my blog…..then Dixie Belle offers a kickback to me for referring you! It doesn’t cost you any more to use my links….and the support helps me to bring you new projects! So I thank you in advance!!!
See you next week!
Please share my faux wood grain pins and follow me on Pinterest!